Following a successful pilot project last year, The Place is offering 6 young artists or collectives the opportunity to be part of The Fringe at The Place from 25th until 30th July 2015.
Each commission (5 Fringe Shorts and 1 Dress A Fringe) will benefit from a fair commissioning process, a £250 all-inclusive fee, up to 30 hours studio time, advice and feedback throughout the process, complimentary tickets, credits on the flyers and website and exposure to audiences keen to experiment on all 3 nights of the Fringe at The Place.
Make sure you read the Artistic Brief below before you complete an application form.
Applications must be received by email or snail mail by Midnight on Monday 1st June.
There is a Q&A session on Tuesday 19th May from 6 to 7 pm in the Lecture Room.
Feel free to come and ask any question you may have regarding this opportunity.
(it would be helpful if you registered interest with Anouska.Anderson@theplace.org.uk).
Programme Manager - Spectator School
020 7121 1046 (usually Tues & Fri)
FRINGE @ THE PLACE
DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY FOR STUDENTS
The Place will be presenting Fringe at The Place – Dancing our way to Edinburgh during the second fortnight of July. Between July 25th – 30th, 4 companies will perform over 3 nights in The Place theatre, previewing new work prior to going to Edinburgh.
As part of its Spectator School programme, The Place is looking at enriching the audience experience by creating a Fringy atmosphere: quirky, fun, light hearted. The Place would therefore like to offer support to 5 young artists or collectives to rehearse and present a short piece on all 3 nights of the Fringe at The Place: 25, 28, 30 July 2015. There is also an opportunity for a young artist/collective to transform The Place’s public areas in a fun, quirky environment for the duration of Fringe at The Place.
- Up to 30 hours rehearsal space
- A £250 all-inclusive fee
- Mentoring/Advice throughout the process
- An opportunity to experiment with live audiences on all 3 nights, with a chance to debrief and re-work in the studio in between nights
- Credits on the e-flyers and The Place website
- 1 complimentary ticket for each performer on all 3 nights (subject to availability)
WHO CAN APPLY
- Undergraduates, postgraduates and recent graduates from The Place (up to 2 years)
- Students from The Place Education partners: Central St Martins, Wimbledon College of Arts, Guildhall School of Music & Drama, Ravensbourne College, Conservatoire for Dance & Drama plus Central School of Speech & Drama.
- The Place staff & Exit Visa students
Fringe Shorts - The brief is to create a short live art piece that can be performed in the public areas of The Place and fit the following criteria:
- A new creation or development of an existing piece/extract
- Can include any artform and mix several different artforms
- Each Fringe Short must be light-hearted, quirky, possibly provocative, definitely entertaining in its own right
- Can feature one or several performers
- The developed piece will be performed in The Place public areas (not inside the theatre): foyer, bar, café, with an opportunity to be re-worked in between nights
- Each Fringe Short must be performed every evening of the Fringe at The Place: 25, 28, 30 July
- Short (between 2 and 10 minutes), the developed piece can be repeated several times during the evening (pre- and post-show + during the interval)
- Must require no technical support
- The piece must have high visual impact to contribute to creating a quirky, light hearted and festive atmosphere throughout the building
- Preferably promenade, though static acts will also be considered provided they can be performed on the flat and without seating space
- Most importantly, artists should think about how their piece will work in terms of audience engagement: how to engage with people who may be shy or engaged in conversation? How to deal with people arriving or leaving half way through the performance? How to keep the audience engaged throughout the performance?
Dress a Fringe – We are also looking for a visual art project that would aim at transforming The Place into a quirky, arty, fringy, dazzling, weird and wonderful environment and fit the following criteria:
- Be artistically coherent
- Be respectful of the Grade II listed building
- Respect Health & safety regulations (i.e. fire proofing, exit routes, fire curtain etc...)
- Use mainly recycled materials (though The Place will contribute up to £200 to materials upon presentation of receipts)
- Be safe for audience members to roam in/through
- The installation must be fitted on 23-24 July so it is ready for the Dress rehearsal at 6 pm on 24th July.
- The installation must be taken down on 31st August between 10 am and 6 pm.
Fill in your application form and email it by Monday 1st June 2015 to Lelia.Greci@theplace.org.uk AND Anouska.Anderson@theplace.org.uk. Posted applications must be received by Monday too.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to The Place for a 20-min pitching session on 12th or 16th June.
Awards will be announced w/c 23rd June.
All selected artists will have a chance to meet and present their project on 1st July at 6 pm.
NEED MORE INFORMATION?
Why not come to our Q&A session on Tuesday 19th May at 6.00 pm at The Place Lecture Room.
It would be helpful (though not compulsory) if you could notify us of your intention to attend by dropping a line to Anouska.Anderson@theplace.org.uk. Thank you.